- Current Team
Steve Avila TCU Stats
As an offensive lineman, there are not as many stats that are tracked. In the 2022 season, he has only allowed 8 QB hurries and 2 QB hits. He also allowed no sacks while playing left guard.
Steve Avila Scouting Report
Per NFL Draft Buzz, Avila has the following strengths and weaknesses:
- Great at second-level blocks in the run game. Able to land blocks on the move
- Good initial burst after the snap in both the run and pass game
- Plays with good leverage despite a taller frame
- Panics on reach blocks which leads to holding penalties
- At times has problems with stunts and twists in the passing game
- Has trouble with quick players in pass blocking
Check Out Our Entire List of 2023 NFL Draft Profiles
Steve Avila in Mock Drafts
Avila is projected as a third-round pick according to NFL Mock Draft Database. The consensus of most mock drafts is that he is a perfect day 2 or 3 pick. In order for offensive linemen to command a top pick, the talent has to be off the charts. Avila is a nice prospect but his skills do not jump off the page. Below is a list of mock drafts and where they have Avila being taken.
- Steelers Depot – Third round: Steelers
- Steelers Wire – Third round: Steelers
- Bear Goggles On – Third round: Bears
- Bears Wire – Fourth round: Bears
Would Steve Avila Fit on the Packers?
The Packers seem to be a huge believer in you can never have too many offensive linemen. Avila does fit the profile of a lineman that GM Brian Gutekunst would draft. Good in the run game with an athletic profile. His deficiencies are fixable with good coaching which the Packers have. They have been able to turn mid-round picks into starting-caliber linemen for years.
Check Out Another TCU Prospect That Could Fit For the Packers
This could easily be a day 3 pick for Gutekunst if Avila falls to the fourth round. On the third day of the draft, it is less about filling needs and more about taking the best players available. The other enticing factor about Avila is his versatility. While he is listed as a center, he played left guard in his senior season. The Packers have had good luck with players like Elgton Jenkins, Yosh Nijman, and Zach Tom who have been able to play multiple positions. If Avila is on the board in day 3, there is a decent chance he becomes a Packer.