This week Matt LaFleur’s Green Bay Packers will face off against the offense of younger brother Mike Lafleur’s New York Jets. The brother-against-brother rivalry was a popular subject during the Wednesday coach press conference. Here are some quick updates and highlights from the “coach speak” Wednesday evening.
Matt LaFleur’s Comments & Notes
- -Coach LaFleur’s not talking to his brother much this week, having to face him Sunday.
- -Coach Complimented the Jets saying, “these guys are flying around, really aggressive. The Jets do a great job scouting people and playing concepts. They are not overly complicated, but they execute.”
- -Jet’s Secondary is a group that has excellent ball skills. They get a lot of interceptions. All the guys have good ball skills.
- – Rodgers is going to have to do a good job progressing through his reads in the timing of the play Sunday.
- – Four takeaways through five games isn’t going to win many games. LaFleur says there are a lot of things they can do better. He needs to put guys in position and play better technique—minus three on the year in turnovers is ugly. Ultimately, they have to do a better job taking care of the football.
- – Head coach Matt LaFleur says Aaron Rodgers is not practicing today but has no concerns for game day.
- LaFleur says Jet’s running back Breece Hall is a monster. The coach liked him at the combine. He said Hall can do it in the run and pass game. Great route runner with great hands. Lots of confidence, and rightfully so, and the Jets do a good job finding him in the offense.
- Coach mentioned Romeo Doubs didn’t get the ball as much Sunday, and Randall Cobb made the most of his opportunities, but he’s a guy who they want to get the ball.
- No long-term concern with Christian Watson.
- The Jets team looks good in 4th quarter. The Jets are a very young football team with a lot of talent. Very familiar with the coaching staff and has a lot of respect there. Interesting note, LaFleur’s first coaching job as a graduate assistant came at Central Michigan when Robert Saleh was on staff as a defensive assistant.
- Coach said the Jets have made significant strides in a short period.
- Kylin Hill is back at practice and healthy today.
- Coach Lafleur completely trusts everything Rodgers does on the field. (Reporter asked a dumb question here)
- Unit needs to put Rodgers in a better position to execute at a better level, which falls on him (LaFleur).
- Decisions made on the sideline between him and Rodgers happen fast, and he trusts Aaron.
- Everything you do is based on probability. That changes on a week-by-week basis.
- Packers culture holds a standard that elevates others in the locker room.
About Coaching Against Family & Friends
- It’s great to see the other coaches, but it’s just another game. He prepares the same way.
- He could have never imagined he and his brother would be facing each other. Growing up he thought the pinnacle of coaching would be to coach Central Michigan University.
- Laughingly, said his parents better be wearing Packers jerseys since they just moved to Wisconsin
Quick note for the week ahead. The Green Bay Packers will be wearing their throwback 1950s Green and Yellow Jerseys against the Jets Sunday.
Classic green & gold#GoPackGo
— Green Bay Packers (@packers) October 12, 2022
For More Great Wisconsin Sports Content