Joe Barry joined the Packers on February 8th, 2021. He is in charge of a defense that has a lot of talent on the field. So who is Joe Barry? Let’s take a closer look at the Packers’ defensive coordinator.
Who Is Joe Barry? Facts About The Packers Coach
- Has five seasons of experience in the NFL as a defensive coordinator (Detroit, 2007-08; Washington, 2015-16; Green Bay, 2021) and 20 years of coaching experience in the league.
- Tutored Hall of Fame LB Derrick Brooks during his time with the Buccaneers, helping him earn All-Pro honors from The Associated Press three times (2002, 2004-05) as well as the NFL’s Defensive Player of the Year in 2002, the same season that Tampa Bay won its first Super Bowl title.
- Has been a part of a coaching staff that has helped the team rank No. 1 in the league in overall defense three times during his career (2002 and 2005 with Tampa Bay, and 2020 with the Los Angeles Rams).
- In his first season with Green Bay, helped the Packers rank in the top 10 in the league in total defense (No. 9, 328.2 ypg), passing defense (No. 10, 219.1 ypg), interceptions (t-No. 6, 18), takeaways (t-No. 8, 26) and defensive penalties (No. 5, 28).
Joe Barry’s Age And Family
Barry is still relatively young at 52 years old. He is the son of former Detroit Lions offensive line coach Mike Barry who also coached many teams at the collegiate level. Barry is married to Chris Marinelli-Barry and they have four kids together; two daughters, Camryn and Lauren, and two sons, Sam and Nick. Through his marriage, he is the son-in-law of current Raiders defensive line coach Rod Marinelli.
Where Is Joe Barry From?
Barry was born in Boulder, Colorado, and attended Boulder (CO) Fairview for high school. He played linebacker at Michigan for two years before transferring to the University of Southern California. He did not play professional football and began coaching right away after his time at USC.
Joe Barry’s Coaching Experience
- USC (1995)
Graduate assistant/defensive line
- Northern Arizona (1996–1998)
Linebackers/defensive ends coach
- UNLV (1999)
- San Francisco 49ers (2000)
Defensive quality control coach
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2001–2006)
- Detroit Lions (2007–2008)
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2009)
- USC (2010–2011)
- San Diego Chargers (2012–2014)
- Washington Redskins (2015–2016)
- Los Angeles Rams (2017–2020)
Assistant head coach & linebackers coach
- Green Bay Packers (2021–present)
Packers Defensive Coordinator History
|Coach||Years||Record||Win percentage||Playoff record|
For More Great Wisconsin Sports Content
Follow me on Twitter at @sorcerermatt, and follow us @WiSportsHeroics. To read more of our articles and keep up to date on the latest in ALL of Wisconsin sports, click here!