- Current Team
John Michael Schmitz Minnesota Stats
Schmitz is a five-year player at the University of Minnesota. In his five years of playing, he has only given up a total of 2 sacks. He has anchored a line that has produced some great running backs as well.
John Michael Schmitz Scouting Report
Per NFL Draft Buzz, Schmitz has the following strengths and weaknesses:
- He’s a heady player who is quick to recognize and react to twists and stunts up front, and Schmitz shows a good sense of timing on combo blocks
- In the run game, he explodes off the line of scrimmage and consistently gets out to the second level to do damage
- Has the strong leg drive to create movement at the line of scrimmage, consistently putting defenders on the ground
- Has a bad habit of panicking – lunging, and grabbing rather than trusting his athleticism to get him in position, which could lead to frequent flags for holding
- Pass protection is a potential issue
Check Out Our Entire List of 2023 NFL Draft Profiles
John Michael Schmitz in Mock Drafts
According to NFL Mock Draft Database, Schmitz is a projected second-round pick. In some mock drafts, he sneaks into the first round as some teams do have a need at center. Below is a list of mock drafts and where they have Schmitz being taken.
- The Draft Network – No. 23 overall: Giants
Would John Michael Schmitz Fit on the Packers?
Center is a position that I do think the Packers give a look at in the draft. Josh Myers had some great moments this season. He also had some truly horrendous moments including against the Lions in week 18. It would not be a bad idea for GM Brian Gutekunst to possibly look at some top-end draft talent at the center position.
Check Out Another Prospect That Could Fit For the Packers
Schmitz would fit very well if the Packers went to more of a run-first team. His deficiencies in pass protection worry me though the Packers have often been able to coach offensive linemen well. If Schmitz is on the board in the second round, keep an eye on what Gutekunst does.
For More Great Wisconsin Sports Content