Matt LaFleur was named the 15th Packers head coach in 2019 after the Packers fired Mike McCarthy. So who is Matt LaFleur? Let’s take a closer look and get to know the Packers’ head coach.
Who Is Matt LaFleur? Facts About The Packers Coach
- LaFleur played quarterback at Saginaw Valley State (2000-02), where he guided the Cardinals to three straight NCAA Division II playoff appearances and earned second-team All-Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference honors in all three seasons. He ranks No. 3 in school history in passing yards (7,699), completions (560), and passing TDs (67). LaFleur began his college career as a wide receiver at Western Michigan (1998-99) before transferring to SVSU.
- Tutored Falcons QB Matt Ryan, who led the league with a 117.1 passer rating in 2016, the seventh highest in a season in NFL history, on his way to being named NFL Most Valuable Player and Offensive Player of the Year by The Associated Press.
- Has guided the Packers to three of the top four seasons in team history for the fewest giveaways (11 in 2020, 13 in 2019, and 2021).
- Became just the sixth head coach since 1970 to lead his team to the conference championship game in both of his first two seasons as a head coach, joining Jim Harbaugh (2011-12), Rex Ryan (2009-10), Barry Switzer (1994-95), Seifert (1989-90) and Don McCafferty (1970-71).
- In his first three seasons leading the Packers, has led Green Bay to a trio of 13-win seasons, three NFC North crowns, and two appearances in the NFC Championship Game.
- Named the Packers’ 15th head coach on Jan. 8, 2019.
Matt LaFleur Age And Personal Life
Matt LaFleur is 43 years old. LaFleur is married to BreAnne Maak, whom he met in college, and they have two sons, Luke and Ty. He is the brother of former Jets offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur.
Where Is Matt LaFleur From?
LaFleur is from Mount Pleasant, Michigan, and graduated from Mount Pleasant High School. He went to college at Western Michigan University before transferring to Saginaw Valley State. He briefly played professionally for the National Indoor Football League.
Matt LaFleur Coaching Experience
- Saginaw Valley State (2003)
- Central Michigan (2004–2005)
- Northern Michigan (2006)
- Ashland (2007)
- Houston Texans (2008–2009)
- Washington Redskins (2010–2013)
- Notre Dame (2014)
- Atlanta Falcons (2015–2016)
- Los Angeles Rams (2017)
- Tennessee Titans (2018)
- Green Bay Packers (2019–present)
Packers Head Coach History
|Coach||Years||Record||Win percentage||Playoff record|
For More Great Wisconsin Sports Content
Follow me on Twitter at @sorcerermatt, and follow us @WiSportsHeroics. To read more of our articles and keep up to date on the latest in ALL of Wisconsin sports, click here!