Following a six season tenure manning the sidelines for the Milwaukee Bucks, the club announced the dismissal of Mike Budenholzer following the team’s first-round exit at the hands of the Miami Heat.
After a six season stint with the Atlanta Hawks, Budenholzer was named coach of the Bucks prior to the 2018 season. ‘Bud’ would lead the Bucks to the promise land after securing the 2021 NBA Championship in six games over the Phoenix Suns in the NBA’s first season following the bubble ridden COVID-19 season in 2020, which was won by LeBron James, Anthony Davis, and the Los Angeles Lakers. Prior to the club’s 2021 title, Budenholzer was named as the 2019 NBA Coach of the Year after leading Milwaukee to a league leading 60 wins in the regular season, but would come up short in the Eastern Conference Finals against eventual champions, Kawhi Leonard and the Toronto Raptors.
Despite his success, the last two seasons haven’t lived up to Bucks fans’ lofty expectations following their 2021 title. The club were up 3-2 against the Boston Celtics in the second round of the Eastern Conference playoffs, but came up short in both games six and seven and were bounced by Jayson Tatum and co. As previously mentioned, the Bucks were ousted by the eight-seeded Miami Heat in just five games in this year’s first-round, however it’s worth noting that former league MVP and 2021 Finals MVP, Giannis Antetokounmpo missed two games of the series, however, the Bucks lone win came in game two, where Giannis was absent, but the team would lose games three, four, and five, the latter two with Giannis back in the lineup.
Now that Budenholzer has been dismissed from his position as the Milwaukee Bucks’ Head Coach, let’s take a look at the latest odds to become the club’s next coach:
Odds to Become Next Milwaukee Bucks Head Coach
(odds via Bookies.com)
1. Monty Williams (+350)
- 367-336 overall as Head Coach
- 194-115, Phoenix Suns (2019-2023)
- 173-221, New Orleans Pelicans (2010-2015)
- Assistant, Portland Trail Blazers (2005-2010), Oklahoma City Thunder (2015-2016), Philadelphia 76ers (2018-2019)
2. Nick Nurse (+400)
- 227-163 overall as Head Coach, Toronto Raptors (2018-2023)
- Assistant, Northern Iowa (1989-1990), Derby Rams (1990-1991), South Dakota (1993-1995), Oklahoma Storm (2001-2005), Toronto Raptors (2013-2018)
3. Chris Quinn (+500)
- Assistant, Northwestern (2013-2014), Miami Heat (2014-Present)
4. Doc Rivers (+750)
- 1,097-763 overall as Head Coach
- 171-186, Orlando Magic (1999-2003)
- 416-305, Boston Celtics (2004-2013)
- 356-208, Los Angeles Clippers (2013-2020)
- 154-82, Philadelphia 76ers (2020-2023)
5. Tyronn Lue (+900)
- 261-186 overall as Head Coach
- 128-77, Cleveland Cavaliers (2015-2019)
- 133-109, Los Angeles Clippers (2019-2023)
- Assistant, Boston Celtics (2011-2013), Los Angeles Clippers (2013-2014), Cleveland Cavaliers (2014-2016), Los Angeles Clippers (2019-2020)
For More Great Milwaukee Bucks and Wisconsin Sports Content
Follow me on Twitter at @ColbysBets and follow us @WiSportsHeroics for more great content. To read more of our articles and keep up to date on the latest in Wisconsin sports, click here!