The Kansas City Chiefs and Philadelphia Eagles face off in Super Bowl 57 this Sunday.
Will it be a high-scoring game? Will having the lead at halftime of the Super Bowl make a difference? Will it be a close game?
To give some insight to those questions (and potential answers), let’s look at some of the points stats in the previous 56 Super Bowls.
* The team that scored first in the Super Bowl is 37-19 (.661)
* Teams that were scoreless in the first quarter are 15-29 (.341)
* Teams that scored in the first quarter are 41-27 (.603)
* Teams that scored 10 or more points in the first quarter are 11-6 (.647)
* Teams that scored 13 or more points in the first quarter are 7-2 (.778)
* Teams that scored in each of the first two quarters are 35-17 (.673)
* Teams that were scoreless at halftime are 0-13 (.000)
* Teams that scored 17 or more points in the first half are 21-2 (.913)
* Teams that had the lead at halftime are 41-11 (.788)
Going into the Fourth Quarter
* Teams that scored in each of the first three quarters are 29-10 (.744)
* Teams that had the lead going into the fourth quarter are 42-12 (.778)
* Teams that had a lead of 10 points or more going into the fourth quarter are 30-3 (.909)
* There have been only four teams that were scoreless going into the fourth quarter: Baltimore (1969 Super Bowl), Washington (1973 Super Bowl), Minnesota (1974 and 1975 Super Bowls).
* Both teams scoring 30 or more points in a Super Bowl game has happened only three times: Jan. 21, 1979, Pittsburgh 35, Dallas 31; Feb. 3, 2013, Baltimore 34, San Francisco 31; February 4, 2018, Philadelphia 41, New England 33 (the Patriots 33 points is the most points scored by a team that lost the Super Bowl).
* There were six times when the team that won the Super Bowl scored less than 20 points. Four of those six times were in the first 10 Super Bowls. The last time was in Super Bowl 53 when the Patriots beat the L.A. Rams 13-3. The Pats 13 points was the fewest points scored to win a Super Bowl.
* Teams that scored 30 or more points in a Super Bowl game are 29-3 (.906).
* In the first 10 Super Bowls, the average score was 22.2-9.1 (31.3 average total points scored). In the last 10 Super Bowls, the average score was 30.2-18.6 (48.8 average total points scored).
* Twenty-one of the previous Super Bowls were decided by one score (eight points or less). Nine of the previous Super Bowls were decided by 25 points or more.
* The average margin of victory in the first 10 Super Bowls was 13.1. The average margin of victory in the last 10 Super Bowls was 11.6.
* The two teams in the Super Bowl have combined to score 60 or more points in 10 Super Bowls.
* The 16 combined points by the Patriots and Rams in Super Bowl 53 was the fewest for any Super Bowl game.
* Only two of the last 19 Super Bowls have been decided by 15 or more points.
More Good Stuff
Here is a look at the records of the 112 Super Bowl teams based on how many points they scored in the game:
0-9 points: 0-11 .000
10-19 points: 6-27 .182
20-29 points: 21-15 .583
30-39 points: 21-3 .875
40 points or more: 8-0 1.000
Only three final scores have been duplicated in Super Bowl history:
27-17: Super Bowl 17 (Washington-Miami), Super Bowl 30 (Dallas-Pittsburgh)
27-10: Super Bowl 12 (Dallas-Denver), Super Bowl 15 (Oakland-Philadelphia)
21-17: Super Bowl 10 (Pittsburgh-Dallas), Super Bowl 46 (N.Y. Giants-New England)
For More Great Wisconsin Sports Content
Follow me on Twitter at @Statsontapp and follow us @WiSportsHeroics for more great content.