- Offensive tackle
- Current Team
Zion Nelson Miami Stats
In his four years at Miami, Nelson has given up a total of 18 sacks. It is worth noting that 12 of those sacks came in his freshman year. He only appeared in two games his senior year.
Zion Nelson Scouting Report
Per NFL Draft Buzz, Nelson has the following strengths and weaknesses:
- Nelson has good length and decent overall size for the position and posses very quick feet and excellent speed
- Rarely is beaten by speed rushers on the edge
- Very technical pass blocker. Awareness is above-average for his limited experience. Sells trap block and can turn to seal. Fluid getting to and adjust at the second levelcker who has graded very well for the past two years
- Above-average football smarts and general intelligence. Solid character and work ethic
- Not nearly as impressive as a run blocker and fails to drive lineman backward
- Nelson only recently weighed 240 lbs and as a result, does not have elite strength or power- he’s more of a technician – will need to improve this area if he wants to dominate at the next level
- Stops his feet after initial contact, relying on length but allowing the defender to get the corner or spin inside
Check Out Our Entire List of 2023 NFL Draft Profiles
Zion Nelson in Mock Drafts
According to NFL Mock Draft Database, Nelson is a projected third-round pick. He was long considered to be first-round talent but his limited snaps in his senior season have caused a lot of people to sour on Nelson. However, with the importance of the OT position, he still holds a lot of value. Below is a list of mock drafts and where they have Nelson being taken.
- Arrowhead Addict – Third round: Chiefs
- NFL Mocks – Fourth round: Steelers
- 247 Sports – Fifth round: Bears
- Still Curtain – Seventh round: Steelers
Would Zion Nelson Fit on the Packers?
I love the fit for Nelson on the Packers. Offensive tackle is not a huge need for the Packers but having tackles around is never a bad thing. He is a high-character guy that only has dropped due to his limited playing time this year. His weaknesses are coachable especially for a Packers’ staff who has been known to work some magic on linemen.
Check Out Another Prospect That Could Fit For the Packers
This shouldn’t be the only OT that GM Brian Gutekunst picks in the draft but it would not be a waste of a pick either. If Nelson is on the board in day 3, I love it.
For More Great Wisconsin Sports Content