- Wide receiver
- Current Team
- Iowa State
Xavier Hutchinson: Wide Receiver, Iowa State: NFL Draft Scouting Profile and Projected Draft Position
Xavier Hutchinson Iowa State Stats
Xavier Hutchinson Scouting Report
Per NFL Draft Buzz, Hutchinson has the following strengths and weaknesses:
- Has the size, length, and strength to defeat press jams. Can make the spectacular catch. A decent open-field runner with some agility and the ability to break tackles
- He’s also a catch-and-run threat, a creative runner who has good vision in the open field; he’ll be an option to return kicks as well
- He’s a fluid athlete with excellent short-area quickness; Hutchinson should be able to create separation, and he has the straight-line speed to threaten down the seam
- Hutchinson has constantly run a limited route tree
- He’ll have to develop a better feel for sitting down against zone coverage
- Physically, Hutchinson profiles as a guy who should have success facing the quarterback, but he struggles to gear down and make the necessary sharp cuts to create separation underneath
Check Out Our Entire List of 2023 NFL Draft Profiles
Xavier Hutchinson in Mock Drafts
According to NFL Mock Draft Database, Hutchinson is a projected fourth-round pick. Teams love to find value at this position in the mid-rounds and Hutchinson has the makings of a mid-round steal. Below is a list of mock drafts and where they have Hutchinson being drafted.
- Pro Football Network – Third round: Ravens
- Dawg Pound Daily – Fourth round: Browns
- Da Windy City – Fifth round: Bears
Would Xavier Hutchinson Fit on the Packers?
The Packers had success last year in the fourth round with a wide receiver. Why not try it again? While it is definitely possible that Packers draft a wide receiver in the mid-rounds, Hutchinson doesn’t seem like the type of receiver they are looking for. GM Brian Gutekunst tends to look for ultra-athletes. Hutchinson is good but not eye-popping.
Check Out Another Prospect That Could Fit For the Packers
There are so many receivers in this range that I see Gutekunst looking elsewhere. The Packers run a lot of unique sets and his limited route tree concerns me. Expect a receiver in the mid-rounds but expect Hutchinson to be drafted by another team.
For More Great Wisconsin Sports Content