- Wide receiver
- Current Team
- North Carolina
Josh Downs North Carolina Stats
Josh Downs Scouting Report
Per NFL Draft Buzz, Downs has the following strengths and weaknesses:
- Elite straight-line speed, Incredible acceleration, reaches his top speed quickly
- Vicious red zone target his entire football career
- Strong vertical jump
- Elevates bad QB play with impeccable adjustment due to his footwork
- Advanced route tree allowing him to lineup all over the formation
- Size will likely limit him to a slot-only role in the NFL
- Weak hands when used as a deep threat, drops proved to be an issue in 2022
- Abysmal blocker
- Easily knocked off routes by sticky corners
Check Out Our Entire List of 2023 NFL Draft Profiles
Josh Downs in Mock Drafts
According to NFL Mock Draft Database, Downs is a projected second-round pick. However, because of his skills a lot of mock drafts have him sneaking into the first-round. He has too much talent and the teams in the latter part of the first round are willing to take on more of a project at wide receiver. Below is a list of mock drafts and where they have Downs being drafted.
- Bears Talk – No. 24 overall: Ravens
- Gridiron Heroics – No. 25 overall: Cowboys
- Sports Illustrated – No. 25 overall: Cowboys
- Yahoo Sports – No. 30 overall: Chiefs
Would Josh Downs Fit on the Packers?
Downs would be an interesting fit for the Packers. There is definitely a need for a slot wide receiver. The question is if Downs would fit within the system. I love his red zone potential and his elite speed. However, his weaknesses are not something the Packers are looking for and I would be surprised if GM Brian Gutekunst took a chance on Downs.
Check Out Another Prospect That Could Fit For the Packers
Drops are a killer as the Packers found out this season. They need sure-handed pass catchers, not ones that create more drops. His run-blocking is also a huge concern. The Packers rely on their receivers to make big blocks on the outside. If Downs is a negative in that regard, it could seriously hurt the Packers’ offense. I expect Gutekunst to take a receiver, if not two, in this draft but I think he passes on Downs.
For More Great Wisconsin Sports Content