The 2022 off-season is going to pose a number of tough decisions for the Green Bay Packers. One of them may be choosing to pay either Allen Lazard or Marquez Valdes-Scantling.
Brief Overview of Stats:
Marquez Valdes-Scantling over the last two years:
- Played in 27 of 33 possible regular season games
- 59 receptions on 118 targets
- 1,120 yards
- 18.7 yards per reception
- 9 touchdowns
Allen Lazard over the last two seasons:
- Played in 25 of 33 possible regular season games
- 73 receptions on 106 targets
- 964 yards
- 13.25 yards per reception
- 11 touchdowns
While stats are definitely a helpful tool, they are certainly not the end all be all. With that being said, it is clear that Marquez Valdes-Scantling has a much lower catch rate, but a much higher yards per receptions. Allen Lazard is the reliable medium yardage / red-zone threat that every team needs. Meanwhile Marquez Valdes-Scantling is the speed receiver that every offense needs to open up the secondary.
- Marquez Valdes-Scantling: 3 years, $27,500,000 contract, including a $2,000,000 signing bonus, $20,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $9,000,000. (Based on stats and market value, similar to Jets’ WR Corey Davis’ contract)
- Allen Lazard: 2 years, $16,500,000 contract, including a $2,000,000 signing bonus, $12,000,000 guaranteed, and an average salary of $8,250,000.
This Packers WR duo is underrated pic.twitter.com/W0ejQ9VLBC
— PFF Fantasy Football (@PFF_Fantasy) February 18, 2022
Marquez Valdes-Scantling’s 18+ yards per catch over the last two years is one of the best in the NFL during that span.
Deep Threat or Possession Wide Receiver?
That is the decision that the Packers have to make. Lazard has been much more reliable catching the ball when thrown his way, but Valdes-Scantling provides the deep threat. If Green Bay has to choose just one, it’s going to be tough.
For More Wisconsin Sports News…