The Green Bay Packers have several free agents they need to address after the 2022 season. Their offense could look drastically different in 2023 if these players aren’t resigned. Here is a look at the list.
Packers’ 2023 Offensive Free Agents
- WR Sammy Watkins – A once very exciting signing has turned into a disaster for the 2022 Packers. Watkins has only 13 receptions in nine appearances so far this season. I wouldn’t be surprised if he is cut before the end of the 2022 season. No way he is back in 2023.
- TE Marcedes Lewis – Lewis seems to be coming back on a one-year rental every single year. The 39-year-old tight end is still an effective blocker on the team, but is there someone else LaFleur could utilize more in his place? This will be a tough one to see go whenever it does happen, I would say it’s 50/50 after the 2022 season.
- TE Robert Tonyan – This will be an interesting decision for Green Bay. Tonyan had an incredible 2020 season where he caught 11 touchdown passes. He has mustered just three in the two years since. An ACL tear de-railed his 2021 season. His 2022 season has been up and down so far. 13 weeks into the season Tonyan has 45 receptions, 372 yards, and one touchdown. He would need to average more than 54 yards per game for the rest of this season in order to set a career-high in receiving yards. However, he is still pretty far away when it comes to receiving touchdowns. If Tonyan goes it will create a major need at the tight end position going into the 2023 season.
- WR Randall Cobb – If Aaron Rodgers is back, I would say there is a 70% chance back Cobb is back. Rodgers has specifically asked for Cobb to be on this team multiple years in a row and it has paid off in some crucial moments. However, Cobb is now 32 years old. We will see how long he wants to continue playing.
- WR Allen Lazard – Will Green Bay be willing to get into a bidding war with another team over Lazard? There will certainly be a team out there who is willing to pay Lazard more than Green Bay was before the 2022 season. Has the needle moved that much this year in order to pay him the big payday? Aaron Rodgers trusts him and that is a big reason to keep him.
- OL Elgton Jenkins – While this will be the most expensive free agent re-signing, it should be the most obvious. Jenkins makes the offensive line better when he is out there. Even if he hasn’t returned to his Pro Bowl 2021 self, he is still one of the best players on Green Bay’s offense and will call for that type of contract.
For More Wisconsin Sports:
Follow me on Twitter at @mcquadewarnold, follow us @WiSportsHeroics, and listen to our Podcast, The Cheese Dads NOW with Legendary DT Gilbert Brown! You can also reach out to McQuade Arnold via Email at firstname.lastname@example.org. To read more of our articles and keep up to date on the latest in ALL of Wisconsin sports, click here!