With four games remaining in his rookie season, Christian Watson hopes to make an already-superb season even better. If Watson stays healthy, there are some NFL and Green Bay Packers’ rookie records in jeopardy. And they could have Christian Watson’s name on them by the end of 2022.
Watson has nine total touchdowns, two via run and seven on pass receptions.
This is the Packers’ bye week, so let’s look where Watson stands on challenging some of these rookie milestones and records. Play resumes Monday December 19 versus the Los Angeles Rams.
- With his nine TDs, Watson leads the Packers in that category. Next is Aaron Jones with six TDs.
Most TDs by rookies in 2022
- He is in a battle with fellow rookie, Seattle running back Kenneth Walker III, for the top spot for most TDs by a rookie in the league this season. Both have nine.
- Watson’s seven TD receptions as a rookie top the league. Washington’s Jahan Dotson who has five TD catches this year is second.
- Watson is tied with Carson Wentz for the most career TDs scored by an NFL player who played collegiately at North Dakota State. With a two-point conversion on his stat sheet, Wentz has a two-point lead over Watson, 56-54, for most NFL points scored by a North Dakota State player.
Most TDs scored by Packers’ group of rookies in a season
- Green Bay rookies Romeo Doubs, Christian Watson and Samori Toure have combined for 13 TDs this season. The trio is tied for 3rd place on the Packers’ list for most TDs scored by a group of rookies in a season. The 1952 Packers’ 16 TDs by rookies top the list. The 2012 team is second with 14 touchdowns.
- Watson is one of nine receivers in NFL history to have two or more TD receptions and two of more TD runs in their first year. If Watson can score another TD via a run, he would become only the fourth rookie receiver in league history with three or more TD receptions and three or more TD runs. The others? Deebo Samuel, Tyreek Hill and Cordarrelle Patterson.
- With one more TD, Watson would become the 96th rookie in league history to score 10 or more TDs. Two more TDs would bring his total to 11, making him the 49th rookie in NFL history with11 or more TDs in a season.
Christian Watson already in third place on Pack’s rookie TD list
- The Packers’ rookie record for touchdowns is 13 held by Billy Howton in 1952. Watson is already in third place with his nine TDs. Eddie Lacy is second with 11 TDs as a Packers’ rookie. The NFL rookie record for most TDs is 22 held by former Chicago Bears’ great Gale Sayers in 1965.
- Watson is currently third on the Packers’ list for most TD receptions by a rookie. His seven TD catches this year are two behind Max McGee (1954) and the 13 by Howton in 1952. Three more TD receptions would give Watson 10 for the season. That would make him the 19th rookie in league history to have 10+ TD receptions in a season.
Christian Watson challenging NFL and Packers’ streak records for rookies
- Watson has a four-game streak of scoring at least one TD; the Packers’ record for a rookie is five consecutive games with a TD, held jointly by Dave Hampton (1969) and Billy Howton (1952). The NFL rookie record for consecutive games with a TD is 10 games held by Eric Dickerson.
- With a TD reception in four straight games, Watson is one game off the Green Bay rookie record. Howton caught a TD pass in five straight games in 1952. A TD reception in the Pack’s next game (Monday night, December 19 versus the Rams) would give Watson a tie for the record with Howton.
For More Great Wisconsin Sports Content