Milwaukee returned from the All-Star break rested and returned to their winning ways on Thursday night. The Bucks defeated the Pistons for the eleventh straight game, including a 4-0 sweep in the opening round of the playoffs last season. The win on Thursday brought the Bucks’ league-leading record to 47-8.
The Bucks defeated the Pistons in large part due to a great first half. The Bucks led 70-41 at halftime, having a 14-0 advantage in points off of turnovers. They would extend their lead to as much as 34 in the second half and would not let Detroit put together any serious rally.
The Bucks were led by Giannis Antetokounmpo, who had 33 points, 16 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals, and a block. This was the 15th game this season in which Giannis had at least 30 points and 15 rebounds. The last player to have that many games with 30+ and 15+ was Shaquille O-Neal, who had 18 in 2000. Shaq was the NBA MVP that year.
Khris Middleton added 28 points and 8 rebounds while shooting 4/5 from behind the arc. Eric Bledsoe had 19 points and 6 assists. Brook Lopez rounded out the Bucks players in double figures with 18 points while shooting 9/10 from the line.
Detroit was led by former Buck Christian Wood, who had 18 points and 11 rebounds off the bench. Bruce Brown also had a double-double coming off the bench for Detroit, scoring 16 points and grabbing 10 rebounds.
- Seven players in Thursday’s game have played for both the Bucks and Pistons at some point in their careers: Christian Wood, Tony Snell, Jon Henson, Brandon Knight, Thon Maker, Ersan Ilyasova, and Khris Middleton.
- With their win tonight, the Bucks have yet to lose back-to-back games this season.
- The Bucks forced 21 turnovers while only committing 7 themselves.
- Kyle Korver was listed as “OUT” as he battles a sore back.
- The Pistons have lost 5 games in a row since trading Andre Drummond.
The Bucks play at home against the Philadelphia 76ers on Saturday.
Follow me on Twitter at @MrAdams88 and follow us @OTHWisconsin for more great content. Also, be sure to check out the Overtime Heroics Forums page to join in on the discussion.